You may have noticed that some of these prompts appear to be based on the various “national days” that crop up throughout the year.
This is for two reasons:
- Some of them make me chuckle, like this one.
- These are good marketing opportunities as well as writing prompts. Write a story about the current “day” and tie in a sales message or entertaining tale.
Today is Kiss A Ginger Day, apparently instigated in response to “kick a ginger day” which is much less friendly. I love it when a group takes something unpleasant and turns it around, sticking a big middle finger up at the world.
Plus, red hair is STUNNING.
Some facts that may prompt you to write something today:
- Did you know only 1-2% of the population has true red hair?
- It’s a result of the mutated MC1R gene.
- Red hair can occur in any ethnicity, although it is more common in people of northern or western European ancestry.
- Red hair is extremely difficult to dye—it holds onto its pigment hard, and needs bleaching to change it. Although why you’d want to change it is anyone’s guess...
- Red heads have thicker hair—but less of it. On average, redheads have 90,000 strands of hair, while blonds have 110,000, and brunettes 140,000.
Facts you never knew you needed to know...
Now you know all this useful information, set your timer for 5 minutes and crack on.
p.s. Connect with me on Instagram and share your experience with the community. Share your writing if you want to—we'd love to read it! Tag @tinybeetlesteps and follow the hashtags #moxieJANUARY and #tinybeetlesteps
Notes in the Margin
Sign up below for regular emails on creative writing, indie publishing, and the wonders of books.